Cannabis and Your Town:
Considerations for Youth Substance Misuse Prevention
Monday August 31st, 2020
Recording now available
Marijuana commercialization is likely to find its way into VT’s upcoming legislative session that is back August 25th to work on and pass a budget. Currently, the marijuana commercialization legislation is in a Committee of Conference for the House and Senate to come to agreement and reconcile their two different bills.
What does this mean for our local communities? Join us as we explore topics and strategies local towns might consider at this time through a prevention lens: to mitigate potential adverse impacts and to prevent youth misuse.
Healthy Lamoille Valley and the Lamoille County Planning Commission are co-hosting this timely event to support our local municipal leaders, decision makers and all those interested in having more information and tools in order to have thorough conversations up front, ask questions and be proactive.
This event will consist of two parts.
Part 1: Presenters from Pueblo, Colorado, an area that initially wanted to be known as the “Napa Valley of Cannabis” will share their first hand experiences with marijuana legalization. They will share data and what they have learned that we might consider as we navigate this here in VT, especially in the Lamoille Valley.
Part 2: We invite you to share your thoughts and ask questions about potential Vermont marijuana legislation with our local panel of experts as well as those on the call from Colorado.
- Dr. Brad A Roberts, Emergency Medicine Pueblo, Colorado (Many of you heard him at Healthy Lamoille Valley’s March events, and he’s back by popular request!)
- Sarah Martinez, MS Community Mobilization Specialist
- Ayanna Marshall, BS Health Promotion Consultant
- Scott Schulle, BS Public Health Policy Specialist
Local experts include:
- Michelle Salvador, Prevention Specialist, Vermont Department of Health
- Seth Jensen, Principal Planner, Lamoille County Planning Commission
- Gwynn Zakov, Esq. Municipal Policy Advocate Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- And others!!
Moderated by Alison Link, Healthy Lamoille Valley Policy and Community Outreach Coordinator.
We hope you will join us and bring your questions and well as your expertise. Please share and invite others.
- “Vermont Will Advance Marijuana Sales Legalization Bill Within Weeks, House Speaker’s Office Says”
- “Lawmakers Hope to Take Up Retail Weed Bill Before Session’s Close”
- “Seatbelt Issue Stalls Cannabis Bill, Coalition Calls For Racial Justice Provisions”
- “Lawmakers Try to Hash Out Competing Versions of Cannabis Bill”
- Bill status page